01760 440640 or 07917 863831 info@anglia-training.co.uk


Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) is a course of instruction and assessment for new riders wanting to ride a moped or geared motorcycle. It’s the first legal step and must by law be taken by any new rider before they go on the road using “L” plates. The only exception is a full car licence holder, who passed their test before February 1st 2001. They can ride a moped up to 49cc but anything larger they still must complete a CBT.

CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training and the word Basic doesn’t mean that you don’t need to be very good! It refers to the Basic skills that you need to learn to ride safely. The course doesn’t turn you into an experienced rider but on completion you should be able to ride safely unaccompanied.

At 16 you are limited to taking your CBT on a moped no greater than 49cc and you are then limited to riding a restricted moped displaying L plates until you are 17. When you are 17 you can move up to a 125cc so long as it is no greater than 14hp.

If you are 17 or above you can do your CBT on either a moped or a geared 125cc, and on completion you are limited to a 125cc no greater than 14hp and displaying L plates. Unless you go onto further training and pass your theory and practical tests, in two years’ time you must retake your CBT.

Training for all abilities

Don’t worry if you have never ridden before, as the course is aimed at complete novices with no experience at all. This is where the Track is such a tremendous benefit, especially for novices. There are 5 elements to Compulsory Basic Training, and we take you through all the elements in turn, so you safely learn whilst gaining confidence and only move onto the next element when you are confident with the previous one.

The link below is a short video produced by the DVSA which explains what to expect during your CBT. Bear in mind that it is filmed on a pad 80 feet x 30 feet and you will realise how small some sites can be.


If you are ready to book, go to contact page or to help decide which course is the best for you go to CBT NOVICE MANUAL or CBT EXPERIENCED MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC MOPED, NOVICE OR EXPERIENCED


For more information about Compulsory Basic Training, please continue reading…….

The five elements must be completed in sequence, although the order of the exercises within the element can be varied. You will only move on to the next element when your instructor is satisfied you have learnt the necessary theory and demonstrated the practical skills to a safe basic level.

Being Shown All The Controls

Getting Used to the Bike
Gaining Confidence in Corners

Doing a Figure of Eight

On the Road Ride

Certificate of completion (DL 196)

When all five elements have been satisfactorily completed, a certificate of completion, called the DL196, is issued. This is a legal document which validates the relevant entitlements on your driving licence. It is important that the holder of a DL196 considers the following points: a DL196 certificate validating a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for two years – CBT must be retaken if both theory and practical tests are not passed within the two-year certificate life

For moped entitlement, only, if you pass your car driving test whilst your DL196 is still current or complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 after passing your car test, the certificate is not subject to expiry, you will therefore need to keep your DL196 certificate safely. Please note that this applies to mopeds only, for riding motorcycles as a learner the DL196 remains valid for just two years

Once you have your certificate you are advised to take additional training to pass your theory and practical tests and qualify for a motorcycle or moped licence. You must take the DL196 certificate with you when you go to your practical test.

What will you need to bring

You will need to bring your photo card driving licence. If you have the ‘old’ type licence a valid passport for identification must be produced. If you do not produce your licence you cannot take your CBT.

To apply for your licence, go to www.gov.uk or get a form from the post office. You can apply 2 months before your 16th birthday. If you have a European licence, you need to get a form D to convert it to a UK licence.

Due to Covid-19 you will need to provide your own equipment. That must include an approved helmet, strong trousers or denim jeans, (not, jogging pants or track suit bottoms!) A strong jacket, ideally a motorcycle jacket, some boots* that protect your ankles, and a pair of leather gloves. *they do not need to be motorcycle boots, so walking boots are fine but ideally not steel toe caps if you are doing the CBT on a geared bike because it is difficult to feel the controls. N.B. I will not train pupils in trainers.

Read the Highway Code

To help you on the day, if you are a new road user, please obtain a copy of the latest Highway Code and study it as often as possible. Currently there isn’t a theory test for CBT, but you will need a good basic knowledge of the Highway Code and will need to demonstrate this to us during the day and during element E.

You can purchase a copy at most post offices and high street stationary stores. It is also available on-line and as an app on all smart phones. You can also test your knowledge by taking the motorcycle theory test here – http://gov.uk/take-practice-theory-test

Gaining Road Experience

If you have not yet ridden on the public road ask a parent, relative or friend who drives a car to take you on a drive and ask them to describe what they are doing, why they are doing it and what they are reasonably expecting to happen during the drive.

This will give you a good insight to riding on public roads and what to reasonably expect when you yourself are on the roads. Again, huge amounts of material can be seen online which will help you.

If it’s been a while since you have been on two wheels, it would be wise to revisit balancing and steering at slow speeds by borrowing a bicycle and spending a few hours getting used to it all again. It will be a huge help to you as slow controlled riding is required during your CBT.

Now you know what’s involved, for your Compulsory Basic Training, please go to either of the options below.

If you know what you want and just want to book or would like to chat through it, go to the Contact Us page to book and fill in the form so that we can offer you the best course to suit you.

CBT NOVICE MANUAL if you have never ridden before and especially if you want to ride a manual bike or if you are feeling particularly nervous about starting on an automatic.

CBT EXPERIENCED MANUAL, OR AUTOMATIC MOPED, NOVICE OR EXPERIENCED For pupils who have ridden a manual bike and are confident using clutch and gears. Or on an automatic either as a novice, or already have experience. It helps a lot if you can ride a push bike, so please tell us if you can’t.

Compulsory Basic Training, with Anglia Training Services. The road to your licence.